Monday, November 17, 2014

Happy Haddie

I was totally holding out on y'all last Friday when I didn't say anything about going to possibly adopt a new dog on Saturday!  For a few months now, Matt and I have been looking for the right dog to adopt.  I suppose we were being fairly picky, but with our lifestyle we knew what kind of dog was going to work and what wasn't. 

Aussie/Catahoula

On the 'must' list was:

Female.  Bella hasn't been spayed, so a male (even a neutered male) was a no go.

Not a puppy.  We're over all the puppy-ness, which includes chewing, potty training, etc.
HousebrokenWhen Bella was a pup I wasn't working and when I didn't keep her at home, Matt took her with him to work.  Potty training was easy.  With us both working FT and Matt not being able to take two dogs to work, the new addition will stay in the house during the day.
Comparable to Bella's size or smaller.  While I wanted at Bernese Mountain Dog, Matt was NOT on-board with a BIGGER dog than our 70 lb. Labrador.

That being said, we had decided that adopting an dog from a rescue site would probably be the best option for us.  As sad as it is, there are several fantastic rescues in Illinois that I was keeping a close eye on looking for a dog that would work in our family dynamic.  Over the course of the summer we put in a few applications, but the dogs were adopted (YEA!) before we had the chance to get up and visit them. 

But last week, I saw a sweet little lady that I had to meet!  Here are her specs: 1-2 years old.  30 lbs. Australian Shepard/Catahoula mix.  Housebroken.

Aussie/Catahoula

So Saturday morning Matt, Bella and I loaded up and drove two hours North to visit the rescue.  I was trying to stay noncommittal until the point that we actually met Haddie, but knowing full well we'd be bringing her home as long as she and Bella go along!  And low and behold... they got along and she came home with us!

Aussie/Catahoula

Haddie is still a bit timid, but she's warming up to us (and Bella) very quickly!  I'll definitely be reporting back about the progress we're making!

 

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on your newest family member! Haddie is so fancy in her feather boa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! She looks adorable - and timid isn't always a bad thing in a cow-dog type mix. Good luck with her - it'll be fun to read about how she fits into your {family}.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and thank you SO much for adopting. Haddie is adorable and I can't wait to see where she finds her place in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Welcome to the family Haddie! Her coloring is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cutie! Can I ask what rescue you worked with? My friend runs a rescue in the suburbs of Chicago, so I'm always curious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. Thanks!entry door handles

    ReplyDelete