Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Make This: Slow Cooker Quinoa White Chicken Chili

Vacation is officially over.

Gone is the warm and sunny climate of New Orleans, Louisiana. It's been replaced with 45 mph wind gusts and a blizzard warning here in good ol' Illinois.  Thankfully, I don't have to head into work today because of the weather conditions! 

If I had the necessary ingredients my Slow Cooker Quinoa White Chicken Chili would the perfect accompaniment to this day.... Alas. The recipe is posted over on my friend Ashley's blog Messy Kennedy for you to enjoy! 





Slow Cooker Quinoa White Chicken Chili

Ingredients
1 medium onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced*
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ teaspoons cumin
4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
1 cup salsa verde
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts, thawed
2 small zucchinis, chopped
1 15 oz. can white beans
½ cup quinoa, rinsed
1 teaspoon oregano
½ a lime, juiced
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Place all the ingredients, except the lime and cilantro, into the pot of your slow cooker.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours.  Before serving, remove the chicken and shred it.  Return the chicken to the slow cooker along with the lime juice and cilantro. 
*I cleaned one pepper really well and left some of the seeds and ribs in the other for some spice!  

I’m lucky because Matt loves a good, hearty soup and this one is doesn’t require much else to go along with it since it’s loaded with veggies, beans and quinoa.  It really is easy to throw together in the slow cooker and go on about your business.  It’s a perfect, set it and forget it meal!  

1 comment:

  1. Ohh I was so jealous over all of your instagram pictures-- it looked like such an amazing trip. I'm going to check out that recipe, I've been wanting to try quinoa and I love chili so this sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete